Monday, March 6, 2017

AN OAKEN STRENGTH

“In reading Henry Thoreau’s journal, I am very sensible of the vigour of his constitution. That oaken strength which I noted whenever he walked, or worked, or surveyed wood-lots, the same unhesitating hand with which a field-labourer accosts a piece of work, which I should shun as a waste of strength, Henry shows in his literary task. He has muscle, and ventures on and performs feats which I am forced to decline. In reading him, I find the same thought, the same spirit that is in me, but he takes a step beyond, and illustrates by excellent images that which I should have conveyed in a sleepy generality. ” 

                                                                                         Ralph Waldo Emerson, June 24, 1863                                                                           Digital Emerson   Work Cited: The Heart of Emerson's Journals. Ed. Bliss Perry.                                                                 Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1926. Print.

No comments: